Following the recent announcement that £10.1 million of Sport England funding is to be made available to support schools in providing out of school hours activity, Active Calderdale are delighted to invite Expressions of Interest from all eligible schools within the Borough to apply for funding to help get more young people and communities active.
The funding, which has been provided by the Department of Education, is aiming to:
- Help develop extracurricular opportunities and community links for children and young people.
- Support schools to open or re-open their facilities to the local community once the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is over
To apply for the Opening School Facilities Fund, download the expression of interest form at the bottom of this page
How will the Opening School Facilities Fund be utilised?
This funding will be distributed through Yorkshire Sport Foundation, with Active Calderdale supporting schools in their application and then managing and monitoring the impact. The minimum bid per school is £2000 and the maximum £10,000.
Funding should be used to help schools offer extra-curricular opportunities including opening facilities in a COVID-19 secure manner. Examples given include:
- Help schools to meet COVID-19 measures by purchasing additional signage, touch-free entry points, Perspex screens, and additional cleaning equipment.
- Purchase additional sports, activity, and storage equipment.
- To improve the accessibility of school sports facilities, especially for pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. This could include buying adaptive sports equipment.
- Where relevant provide funding for additional short-term staffing challenges which prevent schools from opening facilities or delivering sessions.
- Help schools with their own pool on-site to safely open them – this can include purchasing water testing kits and plant servicing following guidance from Swim England.
- Funding will be targeted predominantly to support schools with a high percentage of pupils eligible for free school meals, the least active, and to provide more opportunities for pupils with SEND to take part in activities.
- Funding should focus on increasing the breadth of the community provision (not displacing existing activity but adding to it) – in consultation with local sports providers, NGBs and SGOs.
- Secondary schools are expected to be the main beneficiaries of this funding, but where appropriate, primary schools can also be eligible.
The deadline for submission of Expression of Interest is Friday 14th May. Schools will be notified of their bid status no later than Friday 28th May.
Funding must be utilised by 31st August and all activities in place no later than 6th September 2021.
Contact and Support Information
If you would like any further information please contact Rebecca Antcliffe, Active Education Manager and the OSF Project Lead via email: Rebecca.Antcliffe@calderdale.gov.uk.
Rebecca will be hosting a drop-in Teams consultation meeting on Wednesday 5th May at 4pm for any school wanting additional support with their application, email Rebecca.Antcliffe@calderdale.gov.uk to register your interest.
See the downloads below for our expression of interest form, and for additional information concerning eligibility and funding usage: